Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hector Goes to the Circus. Written by Geraldine MacLean. Illustrated by N. Donovan



Dear Reader,

After reading the following review, please take time to read the comments below the review.  Thank You for Visiting!


Hector Goes to the Circus:

This book takes inspiration from every other book where one of the family farm animals was about to be sold or done away with, and someone comes along to save the day.  This New Mexico Author uses the inspiration in a fine, comical way.  For instance, even though this story is familiar, whoever heard of a pig ending up in a circus, which makes this a unique read amongst it's peers.
The most humerous part is the decision-making process that the farmer goes through when trying to decide what to do with his wife's prized animal.  Being from a rural, farming area, I can identify with the backwards ways of a pipe-stem farmer.  The illustrations are very appropriate and fun, and correctly register the comic factor contained herein.  One of the things that I love about children's books is that it doesn't take much writing or time to reinforce a positive idea in your youngling. In this one, the subliminal idea is this: many potential negative outcomes can also have potential positive or happy outcomes.  If you are looking for a book that will both do this and illicit a laugh and a smile from your child, please purchase this paperback. Available at the link to the right. It also contains a happy coloring book at the end!


Dear Reader,

I want to take a moment to thank you again for reading this review and for visiting my blog! If you are a first time visitor or have been here many times, please follow my blog in the upper left hand column!  Each week I review a new children's, Young Adult, or Middle Grade book(s) of modest length, feature a new illustrator or artist and their work, and post samples of my own poetry or stories.  If you have found me by mistake or by referral, please know that I am delighted by your presence here, as it is my own dream to be eventually recognized as a modern day Seuss, and to entertain and uplift the masses with pure nonsense.  And this blog will help accomplish that aim. lIf you would like to read my current, 1st published ebook, The Legend of Wally Gonkers, there is a link at the right for that.  Therein you will find out what I mean when I say that I am following in the footsteps of Seuss.  Wouldn't you agree that his footsteps are good ones to follow?

Sincerely,

R.R. Howroar

No comments:

Post a Comment